Friday 4 September 2015

Introduction and climate

My name is Ella and I am writing this blog on the geography of Switzerland. I chose this topic to discuss as I am interested in finding out more about this country from where I get my surname. I will categorise my blog into the different aspects of the physical geography of this country.


Switzerland is situated in the centre of west Europe and is home to the Alps. It is bordered by Germany, Italy, Austria and France. While sixty per cent of the country is alpine region the another is 30% hills and relatively flat valleys carved by glaciers called "Mittelland". The remaining 10% is made up of older mountain called Jura. 

The climate in this country is moderate with no excessive heat, cold or humidity. In the west, winds bring a lot of moisture into the country and cause rainfall. There is a continental climate with lower temperatures and less precipitation compared the west. The Alps act as an climate divide. South of the Alps there is a Mediterranean climate with higher temperatures but also a lot of rainfall. Overall the hottest months are July and August. Those visiting Switzerland for a skiing trip should visit during the months of December to April when the snow is good on the Alps. Summer is supposed to be warm and dry with maximum temperature up to 35 degrees Celsius. The temperature in winter will drop significantly to below zero everywhere in Switzerland.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.